There are two direct routes to a green card for immediate relatives of U.S. citizens. An immediate relative is a spouse, minor child or parent. If you are outside of the U.S. or do not qualify to adjust status to Legal Permanent Residency in the United States, you may be able to receive a green card through consular processing. If you are already admitted to the United States on some other basis, you may be eligible to adjust status from within the United States.

If you receive your Legal Permanent Residence through a recent marriage to a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, you will likely receive conditional residence, and your first green card will be valid for only two years. Once you establish the bona fide nature of your marriage, your green card will be renewed for a 10 year period.

To The Top